What a Spring so far. Earthquakes and Storms around the world, Revolutions sparking all over the place, both internal and external. Lightning and Thunder storms in San Francisco.
That's right, last week about this time we experienced an amazing storm in San Francisco, one of those 'only happens every few years' type of storms that shows you just how powerful and awe-inspiring mother nature really is.
It reminded me of a dream I had a few years ago, back when I was still working in Insurance and was struggling with what I wanted to do with my life. I was questioning leaving, moving on- but I was paralyzed in my life about leaving behind all that I knew, all that I had grown accustomed to, to start a new journey. Then one night, I had a dream. In the dream, I was sitting in my corner office on the 20th floor of Embarcadero Center. Looking out the window, a storm rolled in. All of a sudden, the earth started to shake, the heavens opened up. lightening began to hit the major buildings downtown, and thunder resonated throughout the city. Then it happened, it started snowing, while lightning was striking and earthquakes happening, and I knew it- it was the end of the world.
But what struck me as I knew the world was ending was what I was seeing in everyone else in my dream, and what I was saying. While the rest of my co-workers went on with their business, sitting in the conference room having a meeting, I was screaming that this life that I was living was not how I wanted to die.
I quit my job 2 weeks later. The storm in the dream was telling me that the storm of my life, though nice as it was, and as comfortable as it was, was not the life that I wanted to die living.
The storm last Thursday reminded me of this dream, and encouraged me to take a long hard look at how I'm living my life these days, what obstacles are still in my way, and what, if anything, I need to take charge.
In short, the storm asked me, and all of us, to look at our life and ask not just what do we need to wash away, but also how do we need to Clean It UP.
Clean it UP?
It's traditional to think of cleansing, spring cleaning, all of those activities as a cleaning out, washing away. Throwing away. But I encourage you to add a twist. Don't just get lost in throwing things away, get lost in making conscious decisions about your LIFE, your highest good, what is best for you- not just what is dirtying things up.
Sure- clean out the closets, scrub the bathroom, get your donations going, buy new clothes at fit just perfect. That's what spring cleaning is all about. The washing away. The making space.
But what if you took it that step further. What if you went through all your areas of your life- not just your physical possessions- and asked- Is this working for me? Is this really what I want in my life right now? Is this helping me on my journey UP to greater and better things.
If the answer is no, then maybe it's time to move on and move out.
Some examples might include:
- Look through your file cabinets and eliminate files of clients you no longer see, or who no longer serve your business. Maybe even fire a client or two who is adding more struggle than value to what you do everyday.
- Take a long look at your career and deciding if it is really serving you. Is it bringing you UP? Of not, could it be time to move on?
- Taking a look at your friendships and ask- do they make me feel good, or bad? Do they lift me UP? Or bring me down? Do I need to re-evaluate how much time I spend with them?
- Go through your Facebook account- is there someone who's posts always make you feel bad, who makes you feel worse about yourself just by being 'friends' with them? Maybe it's time to defriend them.
- Ditto for your phone book. Do you still have phone numbers in there from ex lovers, ex friends who every time you go in your contact list, you cringe to see their name? Delete it.
- Look in your closet- are their clothes that you hate, remind you of a time in your life, no longer fit? Donate them
Of course, the list could go on. What important is asking yourself- where am I stuck? What feels like it needs some washing away. And how can I not only clean it, but how can I clean it UP.
So- your turn. What do you need to eliminate, transform or change in order to Clean It UP?
Be sure to share your answers on Facebook at Jen Blackstock. And if you are looking for a deeper way to Clean it UP, signup for the Radiance Revolution Program- it's guaranteed to spark your fire, inspire change and wash away those things that no longer serve you!