My Holiday Wish
My plan for this morning was to send out a simple Happy Holiday card- it was already created and scheduled to go. But as the time came closer, and the reality of what happened last Friday in Newtown, CT sunk in more, I felt a huge urge to change my holiday greeting to you all late last night, and try to make sense of such a tragedy- as many of you have come to me for guidance.
While I can't change anything that happened, and I can't heal the hurt each of you is feeling in your soul, I can hopefully provide some words to help.
What happened last week is beyond comprehension, and for many of you, it has brought up feelings ranging from rage, anger, sadness, hurt, to even feeling numb. Many of you have cried on my table in the past few days, and I myself spent Friday holding my loved one close and crying for lives I didn't even know. It's so easy to get caught up in the sadness of it, the rage and the shame and the terror. Trust me I know, I spontaneous burst into tears whenever I read the news. But it's in these times that our Faith is tested. Not just in God or the Universe- or whatever name you want to put to it- but also in trusting that everything happens for a reason, and that every event, every tragedy, is still a part of the Wholeness of the world, just as all the happiness and good times are as well. Everything is perfect, everything happens in perfect time, everything is in rhythm with what is intended for all of us. Even if it makes no sense in the moment. In fact, in the face of when it makes no sense at all, is when this Trust and Faith is most important.
With tragedies such as this before, I've seen people talk of change, of laws and restrictions, of what needs to be done to prevent such things from happening. Then nothing happens. I stay out of the political & social landscape when it comes to such matters. But this time, I see something new emerging- a new focus in the face of tragedy-- a desire of millions to begin to dwell on the GOOD in the world instead of the bad. Of helping neighbors out, of doing good deeds, of paying your fortunes (whatever they may be) forward. A desire for the news to highlight the good things that have happened in a day instead of the bad. Of a recognition of the BLESSINGS in our lives, instead of this intense focus on the bad that seems to have pervaded our society.
In my meditations, I have been sensing that what happened on Friday was like a sacrifice, perhaps like in the Old Testament. A sacrifice of those wonderful, precious lives so that we may all Wake Up & open our eyes, once and for all, to the fact that a change, a shift, a REVOLUTION is needed. Not just a revolution in terms of politics or laws, but a Revolution of the Soul. Of each of our individual souls, as well as that of the collective Soul of all of us.
Who's to say if that's right, but wouldn't it be great if we ACTED like it was?
It's interesting, this is really what the heart of the end of the Kali Yuga and the Mayan Prophesy of 2012 was all about- which is due to occur Friday. A changing era. An ushering in of a golden age of sorts. A movement into a more conscious, collective society. It's been misunderstood by so many to be about destruction and chaos and even the end of the world, because in so many ways, it is destruction. Destruction of our egos. Destruction of our identities as separate from others. Destruction of many of the ways we have been living up until this point, so that we can then become truly FREE.
It doesn't make any of what happened last week, or month, or year, or decade any better or any less tragic. But hopefully, it can help us see them in a new light, as messages to begin living our lives differently. We can ask for changes on the higher levels, but really, the change starts with you, me, all of us in how we handle each and every moment of our lives. We can't expect change if we don't change ourselves, and in my humble opinion, the events at Sandy Hook are highlighting this for millions right now, and the Shift is beginning to occur.
Big stuff, huh? With Friday's Solstice and the holidays this month, it's a lot to take in. Most of you are handling it so gracefully. I have been beyond inspired by so many of you who are taking leaps and bounds in your healing. Who are committing to change, committing to a new way of life. I've seen a profound shift from previous years at this time, where everyone coming in was stressed out and dreading going home for a myriad of reasons. But this year, there is much more calm and a genuine excitement and peace around holiday travel. It feels different this year, and I'm honored to witness it in so many of you.
If you are looking for ways to honor and deal with whatever pain or stress your heart is feeling this holiday season, I have 6 suggestions:
- Tonglen Meditation- According to Pema Chodron, Tonglen practice is a method for connection with suffering- ours and that which is all around us- everywhere we go. It is a method for overcoming fear of suffering and for dissolving the tightness of our heart.
- Breath Based Meditation- Here is a link to a 10 minute recording of a simple breath based meditation that I offered recently. To be practiced anywhere, anytime, at least once a day.
- Mantra- There is a beautiful mantra that is perfect for such a time. It is the Maha Mrityunjaja Mantra from the Buddhist tradition. It is one of the oldest mantras in the world, and is known as the Death Conquering Mantra. There are many applications of this mantra, once being traditionally sung at the time of death as it helps move a soul forward into their next stage of existence. But it also helps sooth the souls of those left behind. It is also an excellent mantra when you yourself are going through big changes or working on healing something in your life- it smooths the transition of your own life from one state of being to another when the waves get rocky. It liberates you by ending the fear of death- literally or figuratively.
- Gratitude Journal-I wrote about this several months ago. Here is a link to the blog post
- Pay it Forward- A whole new movement has spurred online of 26 Acts of Kindness. Get involved, or start your own movement!
- Just read THIS, I promise it will restore your faith in humanity.
So finally, my own holiday wish this year is for all of us to find peace in our hearts no matter what is happening, and that we all begin to let more of the light in through our own self-transformation <3
If I can be of any help to you on your journey, please let me know.